Kansas is no stranger to big businesses that employ economic strategists, including key players in the telecommunications, logistics and transportation, and agricultural industries. Companies within these industries support careers in business economics, as they hire analysts to map out market strategies used to advise executives in decision making.
Economics Careers in Kansas’ Agricultural and Government Sectors
The following are among the top employers of business economists in Kansas:
- Seaboard, Shawnee Mission
- Sprint Nextel, Overland Park
- YRC Worldwide, Overland Park
Government agencies also hire economists and analysts to serve in a variety of capacities. Economists within these agencies develop the policies used to improve the standing of Kansas based business, with the ultimate goal of adding jobs.
- Governor’s Office
- Kansas Department of Agriculture
- Kansas Department of Labor
- Kansas Energy Council
There are several economic development organizations and professional associations in Kansas:
- City Chambers of Commerce
- Council for Economic Education
- Kansas Economic Development Alliance
- Kansas Economic Progress Council
Economics Salaries in Kansas
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that economists in Kansas earned an average salary of $70,820 or $34.05 per hour, as of its most recent report in May 2011.