The “Rocky Mountain Economist” notes in a 2012 publication that Wyoming job growth for economists ranged from 2.1 – 5.7% between 2010 – 2011.
Economics Jobs in Wyoming’s Corporate and Government Sectors
These Wyoming-based multi-nationals retain economists to serve as analysts who observe market trends and advise corporate leadership on how to invest prudently and position the company strategically under current economic circumstances:
- CGI Group, Buffalo, WY
- Information Systems Consulting, Casper, WY
- Northrup Grumman, Cheyenne, WY
- PDS Technical Services, Cheyenne, WY
- Schlumberger, Buffalo, WY
Wyoming’s state agencies are also major creators of economist jobs. In the public sector, careers in economics are spent promoting business activity in the state through international trade partnerships with the state’s manufacturing industry, and by designing policies that stimulate economic growth:
- State of Wyoming
- Wyoming Center for Business and Economic Analysis, Inc.
- Wyoming Division of Human Resources
There are a number of organizations and associations in Wyoming geared towards economists and other related professionals including:
- Platte County Economic Development Committee
- Western Agriculture Economics Association
- Wyoming Business Council
- Wyoming Chamber Partnership
- Wyoming Economic Development Association
Economist Salaries in Wyoming
There are currently 177 economists working in Wyoming earning a median hourly wage of $37.69 and average annual salary of $78,400 according to the Bureau of Land Services. Job openings are expected to grow 6% by 2020, which is a respectable growth rate.